Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:56:04 -0500

      name = "some/firmware.bin";
      if (request_firmware (&fw, name, dev) < 0) {
        printk (ERROR "%s: failed to load firmware `%s'", dev->name, name);

Thanks.

So ... how about if the GPL'd code is included, but with a disabled
firmware loading mechanism, and instead of printing the missing fw
files, they print an error message with an explanation why the device is
not supported?

That way, the GPL'd code is included, the nonfree firmware code is not
being "advertised", and there is a more viable hope that some developer
will be found to work on free alternatives.

This idea isn't mine.  I gather (thanks Yavor) that the FSFLA list, and
rms/aoliva/et al., reached a similar conclusion, after lots of
discussion similar to the one we've been re-enacting here.

Best,
Karl