Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Daniel Olivera
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:39:03 +0200

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez escribió:
> First, please everyone remember to CC your messages to rms.
>
> El dom, 16-08-2009 a las 18:42 +0200, Daniel Olivera escribió:
>> Now we reject a gpl-2 software?
>>
>> If this software have 4 liberties is free software.
>>
>> Becuse
>>
>> we can use this software
>> we can access to source code
>> we can change this software
>> we can distribute modified copies
>>
>> if this 4 liberties are in any software software is free according to
>> FSF definition.
>

> With a driver composed by a GPL'd module and a non-free firmware, you
> cannot have, nor provide the four freedoms. You don't have the code for
> all the required pieces, so you cannot modify it and thus you cannot
> redistribute your changes. You cannot use it freely, so in fact you have
> non of the four freedoms.
>
> This kind of driver is not free software.

Licese of driver is GPL-2

GPL-2 is not free softwre?

That is a really news for me.

If any distribution install 2 parts result is a non-free system
But if, for example UTUTO, only use a GPL-2 module and don't have
something like "contrib" repository, only use free software.

> You don't even have the four freedoms for the GPL'd part either. As the
> non-free part is hidden to you, you don't know how to modify the free
> part. Many changes must match the requirements in the firmware.

but this part is really free!

I repreat the same always. In any free systems is possible install a
non-free softwre.

We need block software intallation also to prevent teptation of the usesrs?

Is the same thing.

If a non-free software use gtk, we need remove gtk of our free systems
to eliminate a temptation of users??

We need remove wine for ecample?

that is ridiculous!!!

Regards!

happy hacking!!
--
Daniel Olivera (mate.cosido, aun fuera de la ley)
Director Proyecto UTUTO (Argentina)

"Soy y seré comunista hasta el último dia de mi vida"
"La vida no vale nada si no es para perecer porque otros puedan tener,
lo que uno disfruta ya" Pablo Milanes.

Correo Electrónico  : address@hidden - address@hidden

Argentina - Teléfono: +54  11 5353-9494 Extension: 2943434
España    - Teléfono: +34 957 780744          Fax: +34 957 780645
Sistemas VoIP       : ututo01 (Skype/Ekiga)
Mensajeros          : Jabber: address@hidden
                         ICQ: 8368437
Blog                : www.ututo.org/daniel