Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Rubén Rodríguez Pérez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:03:22 +0200

El lun, 17-08-2009 a las 16:53 -0300, Diego Saravia escribió:
> 2009/8/17 Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden>:
> > Do you acknowledge that point?  Do you agree with it, i.e., do you agree
> > that users can get the driver and firmware on their own and install it,
> > regardless of whatever ships in a Free System Distribution?
>

> I am not god
>
> I do not believe in god
>
> That users can do that is a reality, I cant do anything about that
>
> What I can do is work to a) promote the develop  of a free driver
> b) bypass a law to end copyright c) reverse engeneer the blob, etc

You can still do all that things even if you do not distribute this
not-usable-in-freedom drivers. They are separate problems.

> Users can do what they want.

That is the idea. Even if you, as a free software distributor, choose
not to ship that drivers, users can still download an use them if they
like, so you are oppressing nobody.

> do you have a problem with that?
>
> I can speak, promote free ideas, etc,
>
> what do you want', a law to send to jail users of non free software?
>
> do you want to kill them?

Please, just calm down, that attitude is not going to help.