gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] MD2 hash

From: Raif S. Naffah
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] MD2 hash
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:06:44 +1000

hello Casey + Mark,

On Sunday 20 October 2002 18:59, Casey Marshall wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I made a MD2 hash since GNU Crypto didn't have that yet.
> | If you are interested then the code is attached. It is a very basic
> | implementation following RFC 1319 (Grrr, there was a bug in the
> | pseudo code...). I have to admit that I don't know much about
> | hashes so this might not be that useful. But it was useful for me
> | to get to know the code base a little better.
> |
> | I did provide some junit tests, which contain the examples
> | mentioned in the RFC. But since I don't have junit setup at the
> | moment I didn't actually run the tests... (But I did verify that
> | the algorith works with a simple Test class).
> | Attached are the new files and the diff to the original CVS
> | sources.
>
> The JUnit tests do work.

thanks Casey for testing it.

>... The GCJ compilation tripped me at first
> since I didn't run `automake; autoconf`, but since the CVS sources
> still include the Makefile.in's they should be patched as well (or
> removed;

if you're referring to the top level directory, the Makefile.in should
not be there anymore (in my local CVS it is not).

>... the CVS sources should just have the Makefile.am's, IMO).

agreed.  only the remaining (at least this is how it appears in my local
CVS) configure.ac, acinclude.m4, and Makefile.am should be there and
should be enough.

> I'll defer to Raif as to whether or not MD2 will be included in the
> library

i see no problems in including it in the library --it is in the same
class as MD4.  i'll also add to the home page, RSA's caution against
its use in new applications.

>... -- which reminds me, how will we decide what algorithms to
> include next?

my personal list is:

1. current algorithms (hash, cipher, modes, etc.):

   DES, DES-EDE, CAST, Blowfish, RC6,
   HAVAL, TIGER, SHA-256 et al
   CBC, CFB

2. NESSIE phase-2 candidates.

3. P1363a algorithms.

4. factoring and prime manipulations algorithms.

5. there are also other than algorithms than can benefit the project:
tools!

a. a tool to quantify randomness (better than ENT)
b. a tool to construct cipher engines (d&d ciphers, padding, modes)
c. a tool to compare 2 test vector sets, not necessarily generated by
the same library.

6. work similar to Dag Arne's optimisation of Serpent for other
algorithms and/or implementations suited for small devices (J2ME
based).

>... I've been tinkering with Blowfish, and could have it
> ready to include.

excellent!

> MD2 isn't the speediest hash ever 8-).

cheers;