[Gnu-arch-users] Re: GNU Arch wiki being moved

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: GNU Arch wiki being moved
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:10:15 -0400

Robert Collins <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 19:21 -0400, Michael Olson wrote:
>> "Andy Tai" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Thanks for your concern.  I did not examine the data in the early
>> > days but recent contributions mostly came from explicitly logged in
>> > user accounts.  However, what you say is valid and I may remove the
>> > restriction for a while to see how it goes.  Recently the spam on
>> > the wiki has been somewhat annoying.
>>
>> What I do with the wiki that I maintain is to make the FrontPage only
>> writable to logged-in users, but make most (if not all) other pages
>> writable by everyone.  This keeps spam out of the most embarrassing
>> and noticeable place, but permits easy editing of information pages.
>
> We used to see scripts hit several pages adding hundreds of links before
> it was made authenticated-user-only. This rarely affected the frontpage
> anyway at that point.

It isn't terribly hard to revert pages every once in a while
(basically just a one-click operation if you go to the Page History),
compared with the cost of losing contributions from annoyed potential
wiki contributors.  Also, if you're using a newer version of Moin, I
believe there's protection against spamming of many pages at once.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net