Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Revision Library Directory

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Revision Library Directory
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:24:32 -0500

Aaron Bentley wrote:
John Meinel wrote:

Also, you should be aware of the tlacontrib script "shrink-library". By default it removes entries in your library that haven't been accessed within 2 weeks, and always leaves the latest version. I tend to run "shrink-library 0" which shrinks everything but the latest.

Unless you're using my backbuilder, too-agressive library pruning will force you to download cachedrevs to produce old revisions (e.g. when merging). Compared with producing revisions from library revisions, this is usually slower, and it takes more space because you don't take advantage of the hard-linking optimization.

Someone should write a script that keeps the *oldest* revision as well as the *newest* revision.

Not me, I've got the backbuilder :-)

Aaron

So what is delaying the backbuilder? Was it all of the discussion about deltas instead of cacherevs, etc? Why can't the backbuilder be rolled into tla mainstream, and then improved when we figure out the whole delta situation?

Not that I terribly care though. It may perform slower now and again, but I've got a decently fat pipe (and when I'm merging, I either run on the machine with the archive, or one with a 100Mb LAN connection, no big problem there.)

John
=:->