Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Revision Library Directory

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Revision Library Directory
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:55:15 -0500

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
So I figured I was finally going to try out revision libraries (no need
so far), but I'm a bit on the cautious side for some reason and I would
like some information beyond that in the tutorial.  The DIR parameter,
anything special about it?  Preferred location?  Preferred name?
        nikolai

On my personal machines, I use:
$HOME/.tla-revision-library

At work, I have an NFS mounted home dir, so I use
/tmp/jfmeinel/tla_revision_library

On Cygwin, I use:
$HOME/dev/{revlibs}

But that's because $HOME is on FAT32, while dev is a symlink to NTFS, and tla-cygwin needs either {archives}, or {revlibs} to force path compression.

I think other things I have seen are:
$HOME/revlib
or
$HOME/ARCHIVES
etc.

The name is quite flexible, it's more a personal preference. And I never see it, except really when I first set it up.

I would also say that you probably always want to do:

tla library-config --greedy --sparse `tla my-revision-library`

A normal revlib is only modified when you use a specific library command. A greedy one will try and get revisions whenever you do a get, update, changes, etc. (With nothing greedy, you still get ++pristine-tree) As for sparse, a non-sparse tree grabs *every* revision, sparse only adds one you will use.

One very weird thing that I've seen with my /tmp revlib, is that every so often, the =greedy, and =sparse files disappear. I have no idea why, as they are my name, and /tmp/jfmeinel only has me with permissions. Also, it's not a temp filesystem, as if it was, the rest of the files would disappear as well, wouldn't they? I don't know if this means anything, I think it's just a fluke of the machine I'm on.

Anyway, I would say revlibs are pretty stable. I wish you could pass the --greedy, --sparse flags in the "my-revision-library" command. And I would think that the default should be "--greedy --sparse" if no other revlibs exist.

Also, you should be aware of the tlacontrib script "shrink-library". By default it removes entries in your library that haven't been accessed within 2 weeks, and always leaves the latest version. I tend to run "shrink-library 0" which shrinks everything but the latest.

I got it from:
address@hidden
    http://mirrors.sourcecontrol.net/address@hidden

John