[Gnu-arch-users] corrupt pristine

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] corrupt pristine
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:10:10 +1000

Can we simply delete a currupt (inodes due to old machine dying => new
disk) pristines tree, and all will continue to work as expected (no
revlib here)?

Error as follows on attempt to commit:
---
corrupt pristine (failed inode signature validation)
    archive: address@hidden
    revision: cpc--parthDev--5.0--patch-17
    directory
/home/parth/workingDir50OldMachine/{arch}/++pristine-trees/unlocked/cpc/cpc--parthDev/cpc--parthDev--5.0/address@hidden/cpc--parthDev--5.0--patch-17
You should remove this pristine from your tree.

---
Now, the really baffling thing for me (since I don't understand it) is
that we got the same error, when we renamed the old working dir tree to
a backup name, then tried to checkout (get) a new working tree ???

That seems bizarre to me, since I never got such an error before. Why
should he (my workmate) not be able to checkout a new working tree? That
seems like a serious bug to me.

Now, when _I_ do a get of his archive (tla get $parthat tmpwd) it works
just fine. What gives?

Finally, to test further, we tar-ed up the working directory into a
backup file, deleted the actual directory, and now we _could_ tla get a
working tree of that archive.

Can anyone explain this seemingly very strange behaviour?

tia
zen