[Gnu-arch-users] A status of arch-magic infrastructure

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] A status of arch-magic infrastructure
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:08:42 +0000

Some time ago I expressed the intention to create an infrastructure
for GNU Arch, and named it arch-magic. This message briefly describes
the status of four sub-projects: arch-perl, archzoom, axp and archway.
That's the core functionality and 3 different interfaces on top of it:
web-based, command-line-based and graphical.

The best way to get all arch-magic projects is:

  tla register-archive http://mirrors.sourcecontrol.net/address@hidden
  tla get address@hidden/arch-magic--dist--0 arch-magic
  cd arch-magic
  tla build-config configs/all

Some info may be found on: http://migo.sixbit.org/software/arch-magic/
Currently there are two active arch-magic developers, Enno Cramer and I.

I think I will skip "archzoom" and "axp", and only introduce new items:

arch-perl
---------

This is a pragmatic set of classes that implements Arch concepts. This
means new classes and methods are only added when at least one frond-end
requires them, not earlier. We believe in up-to-down use-case designs.

If you intend to write arch related front-ends in perl, it is a good time
to jump in and discuss the specific needs and design of arch-perl library.

If you use baz, set TLA=baz at run-time.

archway
-------

This is a new project creating a graphical user interface for Arch, that
was started one month ago and is currently in a pretty functional state.
It uses GTK 2.4 and is distributed under GNU GPL.

You may find screenshots and sources of archway on the web. However,
I suggest to wait for the initial archway release in several days.

We need your help. If you are expert in Perl and Arch, consider to
participate in one or more of the projects above. Testers and porters
are welcome too (especially for ArchWay on Windows/Cygwin). Please use
private email or irc channel #arch-magic if you want to participate.

Regards,
Mikhael.