Re: OT: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encrypted archives?

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encrypted archives?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:45:09 +1000

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 20:53, Robin Green wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 04:22:01PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > the point being, these
> > are basically similar (haven't done it for a while, so it's almost
> > certainly missing the precise options):
> >
> > host recver: nc -l port|gpg --decrypt|cpio -imuvd
> > host sender: find blah|cpio -o|gpg --encrypt|nc host port
> >

> > vs
> >
> > host recver: ssh??|cpio -imuvd
> > host sender: find blah|cpio -o|ssh ??
>
> The difference:
> With ssh you don't need to set up a sender and a receiver - you can do
> it all with one command line.

You still have to have a receiver (it's just for rsync and ssh(client)
the receiver is the sshd daemon, but it still has to be there/ installed
and running), and from GNU -> Windows, it aint necessarily easy to get
sshd installed and running. So the small orthogonal utilities are a real
lifesaver in such situations. Were for me anyway...

> Also, ssh provides secure authentication and high-quality "checksumming".

Agreed everything has its place.

cheers
zen