Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encrypted archives?

From: Johann [Myrkraverk] Oskarsson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Encrypted archives?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:04:02 +0000

Hi,

Dmitriy Nikitinskiy writes:
 > Maybe try place archive and work directory to encryped filesystem?
 > You can create they in regular file and mount via loopback device
 > when need work with tla.

Yes, this would work, for privacy, but in the case I wanted to
distribute the archive to a finite set of people as outlined in my
first mail, I'd had to transfer the entire filesystem (read archive),
to that person where it would be decrypted, and than read from, even
for just a single patch.

There was another mail with some references to scripting and stuff,
but I think the end result would be the same, transferring the entire
archive for individual patches, and I think this can become extremely
expensive, particularly if I start to mention laptops using dialup in
a hotelroom...

So despite the validity of those tips -- I will investigate the
stuff -- my original question remains valid and (semi) un-answered.

Johann