[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:24:32 +0200

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:

> These problems do not necessarily go away if we change to a
> one-version-per-merge model.  It's quite likely that my submissions
> will not be originated in the version that I submit for merging.

That partly solves the problem for the development of tla, but I think
other projects need something about patch log pruning, and I don't
think that's a good idea to force all projects to use the same model.

> Let's end with a threat: if you go ahead with =merged, I will do my
> level best to support it in Fai.  For cases where the merged version
> has patchlogs in the tree, I can implement a "replay --skip-present"
> workalike that will use the changeset contents to determine whether a
> patch should be applied.  That will make Fai a significantly less
> broken tool for developing tla than tla itself.  You don't really want
> that, do you? :-)

I also don't want that because this would mean either to re-implement
that in Xtla, or use Fai as a back-end for Xtla.

--
Matthieu