[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:11:03 +0200

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> So: how about we modify the process so that we maintain a file
>
>       ./src/tla/=merged
>
> Each time a (log-pruned) version is merged into tla, it's version name
> will be appended to that file.   No version name should appear twice
> in that file.

Wouldn't it be better to let (a future version of) tla maintain this
file, and integrate it in the arch protocol instead of some user
convention?

(I think you had another proposal on how to avoid log pruning, but I
don't remember exactly what it was)

If I take the example of the Xtla project, on a freshly checked-out
project, I get this:

$ du -sh
8.7M    .
$ du -sh \{arch}/xtla/
7.4M    {arch}/xtla

So, the patch-log takes 85% of the disk space (7 times more than the
source files !!). If I take only the list of merged patches in a file,
it goes down to 120Kb, which is around 10% of the source size.

Another option would be to have a .tar.gz file of the patch-log. On
Xtla, this makes a 400Kb compressed file, but I suppose this will make
a big performance problem because to answer the question "is changeset
X already merged?", tla would have to gunzip the whole file.

--
Matthieu