[Gnu-arch-users] Automatic Disconnected Operation

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Automatic Disconnected Operation
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:11:24 +0000 (UTC)

Lately I hve been poking around with darcs a bit, and the one really
nice thing about it is that it can automatically work "disconnected".

Here's how that would work in darcs:

1. I do a darcs get to download the repository
2. I hack around, using "darcs record" to commit each change
   Changes are only saved locally.
3. When I have a network connection again, I "darcs push" to upload
   my changes to the server.

Now, tla can do half of this two different ways:

A. I could tag the remote repository to a local repository, hack there,
   and then merge it back into the remote one.

   Problems:
     1. While individual log messages from my local repository are
        preserved, individual patches are not, so I'd get one monolithic
        patch in the remote repository.

     2. It takes a lot of typing to set this up.  Too much to do every
        time.

B. I could mirror the remote repository to my local disk.

   Problems:
     1. I can't commit to this, or push changes back.
     2. Still takes a good deal of typing.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks,
John