[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Automatic Disconnected Operation

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Automatic Disconnected Operation
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:48:27 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-10-25, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Lately I hve been poking around with darcs a bit, and the one really
>> nice thing about it is that it can automatically work "disconnected".
>
>> Here's how that would work in darcs:
>
>> 1. I do a darcs get to download the repository
>> 2. I hack around, using "darcs record" to commit each change
>>    Changes are only saved locally.
>> 3. When I have a network connection again, I "darcs push" to upload
>>    my changes to the server.
>
> How does it handle the case where someone else has committed patches to the
> same branch in the mean time.  Of course it can try to reorder those patches
> using its patch-algebra (which is quite handy in this particular case), but
> what if there's a real conflict?

I don't know, but I bet someone in here knows the answer.  I suspect it
would generate an error if it couldn't handle the situation
automatically.

If I knew someone else commits to the repository on the network (in my
case, I know that nobody else does), I would probably do a darcs pull
before my darcs push to grab any changes and integrate them.

>> B. I could mirror the remote repository to my local disk.
>>    Problems:
>>      1. I can't commit to this, or push changes back.
>>      2. Still takes a good deal of typing.
>
>> Is there an easier way to do this?
>
> You can use an archive cache (in a separate patch written by Aaron) which
> gets you the same as B but without the extra typing (you still can't
> commit, tho).

And that's still a big problem, unfortunately.

-- John