Re: [Gnu-arch-users] merge conflicts

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] merge conflicts
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:25:32 +1000

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 13:03, John Meinel wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > The wiki says:
> >
> > "Handling conflicts

> tla has this. It's called 'tla star-merge --three-way'

Excellent, thanks. Works well...

I never realised from all the docs (-H, wiki, tut?) that this is what
--three-way was for - I thought it was an extra special type of merge
that would help me in bizzarre situations.

> The reason it isn't the default is that it is really easy to commit one
> of these conflicted files, which is *not* what you want to do.

Exactly.

Does/ can "commit" balk out if it finds .rej files? (This is not
something I want to test on my stable tree :)

> In CVS it will show a conflict the first time you update. After that,
> you have to guess which files are corrupted, and make sure you get all
> the lines that need fixing. (You could grep I suppose...)
> Instead, tla patches as best it can, and then leaves .rej files around
> to make it obvious what files are incomplete.
>
> But as I mentioned tla star-merge --three-way should do what you want.
>
> IIRC, you can even use it as a replacement for update. So in a modified
> project where you don't have the latest version
>
> tla star-merge --three-way
>
> Should bring you up to date, and leave inline conflict markers.

Double bonus with fabulous Gold Member stars! Groovin' baby, Yeah!

Eh..hmm... got a bit carried away there...

cheers
zen