Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW POLICIES (draft)

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW POLICIES (draft)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:57:40 -0700 (PDT)

   [re cascades]
   > On reflection, this is just a prism structure under a different name,
   > plus a rule that there must be a single line of ancestry through all
   > of them

Prisms were never presented as hierarchical or ordered and so to say
that cascades are special case of them is a stretch.

   > (which is actually useless and should be ignored - this isn't
   > used for anything, so regular freeform prism structure will work just
   > the same; the freeform structure is just a set of 'cascades'
   > anyway).

Jivera already commented on the possibility of tree-structured
cascades.

The linear structure of a cascade is quite useful for those who are
working on multi-phased but singular lines of development.

    > This is what we've been doing for years, nothing to see here, move
    > along...

It isn't how people have been submitting changes to the mainline --
not even close.

Now it is one of two approved methods for submitting changes to the
mainline.

Plenty to see here.

Thanks,