Re: [Gnu-arch-users] PANIC: duplicate ids in ORIG tree

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] PANIC: duplicate ids in ORIG tree
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:43:44 +1000

>>>>> "Georg-W" == Georg-W Koltermann <address@hidden> writes:

    Georg-W> I added one file.  I think first I got the PANIC and also
    Georg-W> a message of one new file being unknown so I added it
    Georg-W> hoping the PANIC would go away.  It didn't go away.

In future, it would help if you could quote the exact sequence of
commands you typed and the exact output you got (especially important
given the fact you can't give as the source code).

    Georg-W> There is a post about duplicate ids being possible if one
    Georg-W> was fast eough, see
    Georg-W>
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-05/msg00596.html

    Georg-W> Do you think I hit that case?  OTOH there don't seem to
    Georg-W> be duplicate ids, per "tla inventory --ids | cut -f2 |
    Georg-W> sort | uniq -d".  Strange.  I think I may need to take a
    Georg-W> look at the source, but not tonight.

I would assume (and hope) that the import operation (or commit
operation) would (should?) abort with an error if duplicate ids exist,
so you don't end up with a corrupt archive.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>