Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:30:00 -0400

Marcus Sundman wrote:
On Saturday 28 August 2004 09:14, Aaron Bentley wrote:

Marcus Sundman wrote:

Practically speaking it's wrong since it
severely limits what encodings can be used, since the file would have
to contain a byte sequence equivalent to a string like '<?xml
version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>' encoded in ANSI X3.4-1986.

Not so:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-guessing

You are correct. The xml spec does indeed recognize a special case. Besides ANSI X3.4-1986 and the unicode encodings it apparently also supports EBCDIC. I stand corrected.

Good that we got that cleared up. We wouldn't want to make any EBCDIC fans upset, now would we? ;-)

You also implied that the XML encoding mechanism didn't support unicode encodings other than utf-8.

Aaron