[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:40:46 +0900

Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> writes:
> It doesn't flow for me. I have to juggle the pieces in my head for it to
> make sense. Even with the common/ math version right above it.
>
> I can't explain why this is the case, only that it is my experience. I
> look, and feel stupid; feel thoroughly disempowered.

I think it's probably just because you have experience with one syntax
and not with the other; getting a good feeling for something does take a
bit of time -- though I don't think it's really all that much time in
this case; lispish syntax really is _simple_, and regular.

[I learned lisp (starting with the incredible August 1979 issue of Byte
magazine) before I learned C, and definitely found the former easier to
understand at first -- it was just soooo simple, so .... primitive (in a
good way).  With C you had to keep all these things in your head at
once, but with lisp, you could just stare at little pieces and build
up from there.]

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'