Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multiple committers, again

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multiple committers, again
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:38:49 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:55:52AM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:

There's not very much we can do about it, because we don't have very
strong control of the underlying filesystem. We can change permissions
with some of the methods (sftp and ftp come to mind), but we can't
change the permissions with all of the methods (I don't believe we can
do this on webDAV).

Perhaps a solution to this is have alternative back end
for tla: A plain old archive (e.g. tar,cpio) or sequence
of them. Then a commit could just add another to the
sequence. Efficiency would obviously not be great but
this would preserve the attractive dumbness of the 'server'
and therefore allow lots of caching techniques.

  c-b-v-b0.cpio, c-b-v-p1.cpio, ... c-b-v-cacherev14.cpio, c-b-v-p15.cpio ...

Hmm. I think what you're proposing there would be the first non-pfs archive.

Tar's semantics are close enough that I wonder whether it could be used as a PFS. pfses must support
file_exists
is_dir
file_contents
get_file
directory_files
put_file
mkdir
rename
rmdir
rm

Off the top of my head, the tricky ones are rename, is_dir, mkdir, rmdir.

Aaron