Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"]
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:09:01 -0400

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 02:12:54PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> > Please say _why_ it's a bad idea, i.e. give an example of how someone might
> > be screwed by this.
>
> Its a bad idea because that opens us up to the risk that people will
> generate and start passing around changesets that aren't portable.

For instance?

I suppose it's conceivable that there are option combinations that could
cause some problem, but I can't see that any common options (e.g.: -p [to get
function info in the hunk header], whitespace relaxation options,
context-size modification options) will.  As long as you use one of the diff
formats that makes sense (unified, context -- but I think patch will even try
to apply ed-style diffs!), patch is pretty good at handling what diff throws
at it.

> I think a changeset should be a changeset should be a changeset. *very*
> predictable and stable.

I don't see why they're any different than patch files (really, tla's
changeset stuff is just super diff + super patch).

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.