Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"]
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:22:32 -0400

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:33:54PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> > Since tla changes --diffs works by calcuating a changeset and then then
> > printing the contents of the diff files to stdout, this would require
> > producing a changeset with non-standard contents.  I'm not entirely
> > opposed to this, but it would need to be done carefully.
>
> Ouch. Somehow I forgot thats how changes --diffs works.
>
> Yeah. Thats a bad idea.

Please say _why_ it's a bad idea, i.e. give an example of how someone might
be screwed by this.

Changesets with `non standard' diff contents are _not_ invalid (unapplyable)
changesets unless you use particular options that make the diff contents
unusable by `patch' (e.g., a non-context, non-unified diff) -- and those
options are uncommonly used; tla could even enforce it with not much problem.

The main time you want to avoid any changeset non-standardness is when doing
a commit, and since it always makes its own changesets, it can just be extra
picky; there's no reason to make `changes' be similarly picky.

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?