Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: command naming suggestions

From: Jason McCarty
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: command naming suggestions
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:26:31 -0400

Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 12:10:43AM -0500, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> >Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> If you have problems typing dashes, that's an impediment to using
> >> unix/lisp/etc in general.  I'd respectfully suggest that it would be
> >> more productive to simply get more practice typing dashes.
> >
> >Or use a keyboard layout where the dash key is more readily accessible
> >:-).  With Dvorak, it's where the ' and " key is with QWERTY... on the
> >other hand, 'm', 'b', and 'd' are all done with the same finger making
> >'lambda' a pain to type. :-/
>
> Would command line completion be another "solution" to the problem?

It's useful for long commands, but not short ones, and I don't think it
can save you from typing most hyphens, because they're necessary for
disambiguation. Attempt to complete my-id in Zsh, for example: m<tab>
yields 14 completions, my<tab> yields 3 (and appends a hyphen), m-<tab>
yields 9, m-i<tab> yields 2 (and appends d), and my-i<tab> yields my-id.
replay. And m-r<tab> yields my-revision-library, the longest (but
infrequently used) command ;-)

--
Jason McCarty <address@hidden>