[Gnu-arch-users] command naming suggestions

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] command naming suggestions
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:58:03 +1000

There are a few shortening aliases in the tla sub-command namespace
already.

* I suggest to have an alias for every command that has one or more
dashes ("-") in it, without the dashes. The dashes are nice for help
output, as they separate the words. They are better than having
two-key-press combinations such as underscore or capitals (both
requiring SHIFT in combination with the key). However, they still
require a little bit of a stretch beyond the alpha keys, which (at least
for me) generally causes me to have to look at the keyboard, and
therefore slow down my train of thought. tla my-id comes to mind (on the
other hand, I just now threw "tla my-id ..." into my .bashrc, which
seems to make sense, since I have a couple of scripts that open up a
whole bunch of xterms running screen, to set up my 'ide' on any new
virtual desktop I happen to need, or on reboot).

* I suggest aliases for each of the library-* commands, obviously
without the dashes, but also by shortening library to "lib", eg liblog,
libfile, etc. "lib" is an easy and significantly less finger-twisting
set of letters to type than "library" (I'm a touch typist, and library
has always been "one of those words that slows you down").
 - However, it may be that these commands are so rarely used, that there
is very little benefit from such aliases - I'm just starting out here
sorry.

tia
zen