Re: [Gnu-arch-users] feature plans from over here....

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] feature plans from over here....
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:13:40 +0100

I like the idea conceptually, but I think it could stand an improvement
or two...

1. I really like the role based setup, in which there's a (still human
readable) .arch-params equivilant. However, rather than tying the role
to the my-id, I think we should have "role names" instead. These names
would fit the format of [a-zA-Z0-0_-]+. For example, valid role names
would be "arch", "archdev", "canonical" and "default". When a new user
is set up for the first time, put them in the "default" role. We want
this change because it shortens what users have to type. We don't have
to worry about namespace changes because I think these role names should
be local.

2. re archive aliases. Nah. I think we should have fully qualified
aliases. I.E. jbdev expands to address@hidden/tla--devo--1.2,
tomtla expands to address@hidden/tla--devo, so forth and so on.

3. Re: Keeping all of the archive locations in one file: You must have
read my mind, because Robert and I discussed his just the other day.

The rest of it, I think I like it as is, though I'm a little nervous on
he transactualizinaterating .arch-params, particularly when it comes to
merging hooks.