Re: [Gnu-arch-users] feature plans from over here....

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] feature plans from over here....
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:49:58 -0400

David Allouche wrote:
> I am happy as long as:
>
>   1. Roles are not tied to unique user ids

I agree. Roles are over user-ids. Each role has a user-id, which may or
may not be a duplicate of a user-id in another role.

>   2. Archives do not have to be registered multiple times for different
>     roles.

I disagree strongly. When I'm doing my free software work, I don't want
to see my work archives.

>   3. Roles can be assigned to subsets of the namespace, and be used
>     automatically.
>
>   4. Subsets of namespace can be defined by pattern matching.
>     for example */pyarch--* will match any pyarch branch anywhere,
>     where aliases such as "release", "public", "rocketfuel",
>     "personal" all make sense as important partner versions.
>
>   5. There is a mechanism for reuse. For example roles applying to
>     overlapping subset of the namespace could be reconciled using a
>     precedence order specified explicitly.

I think this is too much effort for too little bang. I wouldn't go
through the effort of making inherited roles.

> registration must not be done multiple times. Wether I am wearing my
> pyarch maintainer hat or wearing my employee hat, I still want to
> access both my private and work archives because they both contain
> pyarch branches.

I don't. I need a clean line between what I'm doing for me, and what I'm
doing for them.

Since its easier for you to add the same archive twice, than for me to
get it to not exist, tla should go my way. :)