Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch requires huge amount of memories..

From: Marc Recht
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch requires huge amount of memories..
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 10:33:56 +0200

Er, it looks like you imported the entire pkgsrc tree into a single
category.  While it would be nice if tla performed better here, I think
this is a simple case of "don't do that".  What you really want is a
category for each package, like:

address@hidden/devel-stlport--main--0.1

Oh, my. Considering the size of pkgsrc this could take a while to set up... :-/ Are there any helper scripts for this? Can I set up config recursively? For example:
pkgsrc/
pkgsrc/{configs}
pkgsrc/devel
pkgsrc/devel/{configs}
[... other categories]

That way I'd only need to declare the root level categories in pkgsrc/configs and could list the individual pkgs in the category subdirs.

That way you can branch and version each individual pkg separately, in
addition to having much better performance :)

If you want to generate the entire tree, use a config.

I see. Can I then still diff against the entire tree to see what changed (compared to last commit)? I consider something like that quite usefull to see what is different in my tree.. (I know I could use cvs up -nq to see what's different compared to the CVS tree, but that needs network access.)

--
Marc Recht