[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: gnokii and the Nokia 6100

From: Johannes Zellner
Subject: Re: gnokii and the Nokia 6100
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:57:59 +0100
User-agent: Mutt/1.5.4i

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:19:07AM +0100, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> Hi all!
> Sorry for starting a new thread on this topic, but I just joined the
> list and hence have no message of the old one to reply to...
> Anyway, having bought a 6100 yesterday, I was of course interested in
> getting an infra red connection to work. I had heard about gnokii
> before, so naturally, I tried it. Fortunately, I came across the thread
> "gnokii breaks nokia 6100", so I was cautious and did not wildly
> experiment.
> What I did notice, though, is that the problems *seem* to be related to
> the firmware version as well. After reading that most (all?) problems
> manifest themselves with the older "04.01" version, I checked mine. My
> phone has "05.16" and I decided to be daring...
> So far, I've run "gnokii --monitor" with no problems and have also
> downloaded and edited the calendar with xgnokii. I've also sent an SMS
> using xgnokii. No problems ocurred - the phone is still working perfectly
> and all actions were duely executed.
> I've done this under Mandrake Linux 9.1, using gnokii 0.5.8 from
> Mandrake Cooker on a Toshiba Libretto 110CT. I had the connection speed
> set to 9600 baud.
> Also, I found this interesting tidbit:
> On , at least
> two owners report a similar problem with his phone. Also, one person
> suggests that version 4.01 has quite a few problems.
> Further, I've seen messages on Usenet (Google Groups) indicating similar
> problems (screen going black when using infrared, though no version
> given).
> Just to add a few new datapoints to the discussion...


as I'm a brave guy and I've still 1 1/2 year warranty, and gammu didn't
work to well with my phone I decided to risk again connecting with
gnokii to my Nokia 6100. This went well some time, I could read the SIM
and phone phonebook memory several times w/o any problem.

Finally gnokii broke again the phone, same behaviour as before, the
phone accepts the PIN, but then powers off. (Before it powers off, it
shows two or three times the battery charging bar going up).

This time I've more detailed information:

    - gnokii 5.8 from the CVS of January, 18. 2004, compiled myself.

    - Linux 2.6.1

    - Actisys 220+ infrared dongle (serial dongle)

    - Nokia 6100 firmware:
        V 05. 16
        (c) NMP.

    - ~/.gnokiirc
        port = /dev/ircomm0
        model = 6100
        connection = irda
        use_locking = yes
        serial_baudrate = 19200
        smsc_timeout = 10

As I've compiled with --enable-debug, I've the complete log file of the
xgnokii session which broke the phone, but as it contains all of my
personal contacts, I'd rather like not to publish it here on the list.
If some of the developers is interested in the log, I'd send it to him



reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]