Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Organizing wiki documentation by version

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Organizing wiki documentation by version
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:27:24 +0200

Op Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:48:14 +1000
schreef Karl Goetz <address@hidden>:

> On Sun Aug 18 06:45:16 2013 Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >
> If things differ in the minor version would you then have a separate
> note on the doco page? That would work too.

A new minor version effectively replaces the previous one, because
existing users already got the updates and there's no reason for new
users to use the previous images. Any changes that have a noticeable
impact (e.g. removing X again) should be documented as they happen.

> Its easier for an empowered editor to do wiki redirect - server
> redirects are much harder to get at :)

True and they're more transparent. But the server redirect can be a
one-liner per version, whereas the wiki redirect needs to be changed
per page. Not a problem if I'm not the one who has to do it. :)

> > Is that really a problem? Any documentation before stable should be
> > left alone, docs for stable should be pretty stable and docs for
> > testing can "branch" from stable and be on their own merry way
> > without
>
> IME moinmoin doesnt branch (or merge) well though there may be a
> plugin of some sort to make it work better.

Indeed, hence the quotes. I don't expect much merging to be necessary,
so I hope an attentive documentation team is all we need to make it
work.

> Not sure if moinmoin search would let us make a 'search only this
> version' but i expect something could be organised.

Using "title:Documentation/3" as a search parameter might work, but I'm
not sure if that works if the title is set with a "title" directive.
"title:Documentation/stable" most likely doesn't work with server
redirection, but probably not with wiki redirection either.