Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Organizing wiki documentation by version

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Organizing wiki documentation by version
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 20:04:39 +0930

On Sat, August 17, 2013 18:30, rsiddharth wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 03:58:29PM -0500, Felipe Lopez wrote:

>> We could use a URL structure like the following:
>>
>>     /Documentation/GNS_VERSION/SECTION_NAME/PAGE_TITLE
>>
>> So, for example, the installation instructions for gNewSense 3 would be
>> located at:
>>
>>     /Documentation/Version3/InstallationManual/Introduction
>
> To keep the URLs short, we might avail the 'Catogories' feature.
>
> The gNewSense Packaging/Developement documentation[1][2] makes use of
> this feature.
>
> [1]: http://gnewsense.org/CategoryPackaging
> [2]: http://gnewsense.org/CategoryDevelopment
>
> If we use 'Catorgies', the URL structure might look like:
>
>     /Documentation/gNS_VERSION/FOO_BAR

The category would include the version number?

>> If this change in documentation structure is implemented, the current
>> documentation page [1] would list documentation sets by version.
> Yes, Docs page will look cleaner.

> Also, we need to have consensus on, what/what not, to document in the
> gNewSense Wiki.
>
> For instance, I feel the Documentation for GIMP[3], Emacs[4]
> redundant, as the official documentation for these packages are good
> enough.
>
> I think, the Wiki must contain *only* gNewSense specific
> documentation, that way we can make good use of time & space.
>

> [3]: http://gnewsense.org/Documentation/GIMP
> [4]: http://gnewsense.org/Documentation/Emacs

A quick start guide with some pointers on getting installed/basic config
and usage perhaps, but really detailed application doco should (in my mind
at least) be kept for the relevant upstream wikis. The exception would be
where the appliccation behaves differently in gNS because of changes made.
thanks,
kk

--
http://www.kgoetz.id.au