[glob2-devel] Translation

From: Federico P
Subject: [glob2-devel] Translation
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 01:52:38 +0100

hi,
since i'm unable to join anything serious in this game, i just peeked about
italian translation.
I went to translation page on wiki:
http://globulation2.org/wiki/Translation_guide

1) Quote:
"If you want to translate the tutorial, please download tutorial.sgsl from
Mercurial. Inside it, there is a special print function that takes a language
code (such as en, de, ...) as second argument."

Whatever doings that .sgsl, the link is broken. Anyway wasn't clear to me the
purpose of that file.

2) Quote:
First of all you have to understand that in the data/ directory. There are
many "texts.*.txt" files, two of them in particular are:
./data/texts.list.txt

This file doesn't exist anymore in mercurial sources. Giszmo told me that is
enough to open texts.it.txt and fill lines with translation (with a look on
texts.en.txt file because not everything is a translation, like entries such
this [barracks explanation] where have to fill with a translation from en.txt
file.
Also, explain may be splitted into many entries, like this:

123 [barracks explanation 2]
124 level of your warriors
125 [barracks explanation]
126 Improves the fighting

(the number is line number, thank Kate!! :D)
which means "Improves the fighting level of your warriors"
and needs a sentence translation which may differ from a single-entry
translation.
***** I said this (y i know you know) just because this must be written in
wiki page.. wtf !!

Anyway, this entry in italian file was wrong:

[barracks explanation 2]
nemiche nelle vicinanze
[barracks explanation]
Migliora il livello di

this means
barrack 1 -> "improves level of"
barrack 2 -> "enemy near"

Probably some entries has been fucked while adapting them to new versions. In
fact that [barracks explanation 2] translation may be a piece of a different
entry, like "enemy unit are near you base" or so.

3) Try to compare english (or german) file with italian, from line 137 until
end they differs:
eng:
135 [build %0 level %1]
136 Construct %0 Level %1
137 [Build]
138 Build

it:
135 [build %0 level %1]
136
137 [build barracks level 0]
138 Costruisci caserma liv. 0

Somehow this file has been broken. Tomorrow (or day after) i will check if
there are only some lines missing or there are many break, causing a
translation from scratch.
Italian file got 1223 lines, while english got 1164...
Just for comparation, i opened german file and it got 1163 lines, but last
entries are equal than eng. Probably one has just been lost somewhere ^_^
In italian file i see that some entries are missing (even if file is much
longer), like last one --> [no fullscreen]

4) We should also clear some points, to make a new functional Translation
page. Example:
(quote: Giszmo) "Names shouldn't be translated" :
I asked for this about AIReachToInfinity

(quote: Giszmo) "Take care in your language of formal and informal "you" " :
Italian and german are quite similar, we both got one word for 2' pers
singular and one different for polite talk which is same as the 3' pers female
ger: du / Sie
ita:  tu / Lei
As for game i think the informal way fits better the "you" meaning.. you don't
want to scare 13' year old players from ita/ger, no? :P

***** I bet there are many more questions to get a standard translation
operational mode (also to get a functional wiki page), i just throw the first
rock ;) I will ask more when i meet them.

4) There is a way to test translations?
Since it's very important to see effects of translated message, it would be
usefull to find where an entry is shown. I doubt i will ever see and check with
accuracy 1164/2 = 582 translated messages while playing, specially if got
doubt just for some (like word "briefing".. tbh translation may be different in
context.. like italian word for Istructions, Objectives, or just Mission)

5) As far i understood, translation file doesn't include default campaigns (ie
Tutorials). I was happy to play glob2 stable in italian, but tutorials was
sadly in english. Who don't like to play in english due to a personal limit,
will not understand tutorials at all, which are fundamental to enjoi the game.

6) When possible, consider a language translation "covered" when at least 2
guys offers for it to check errors or find best translation. I doubt there are
many with univeristy degree in languages that join translation work ;)
There can be a list of who is taking care of each supported language since
this work can be done in some intensive days or slower with a lower work, in
time to join a new stable release. Keepin track of who assumes this role
wouldn't be hard, and someone could officially refuse to continue mantaining a
language and let you put a "wanted translator for [language]" on glob main
page with good enough visibility. An official list of translation contributors
with email also helps for suggestions by generic player.

Let me know what you think about
-fede

FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your
desktop!