Re: [glob2-devel] Translation

From: Federico P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Translation
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 19:43:50 +0100

Have to add this:

On Thursday 29 January 2009 01:52:38 Federico P wrote:

> 2) Quote:
> First of all you have to understand that in the data/ directory. There are
> many "texts.*.txt" files, two of them in particular are:
> ./data/texts.list.txt
>
> This file doesn't exist anymore in mercurial sources. Giszmo told me that
> is enough to open texts.it.txt and fill lines with translation (with a look
> on texts.en.txt file because not everything is a translation, like entries
> such this [barracks explanation] where have to fill with a translation from
> en.txt file.

Here i was wrong, texts.list.txt exist. Dunno how i missed it.. have to say
that i was really tired :(
Also translation is clearly described as a import from texts.en.txt to
texts.LANGCODE.txt. I didn't read wiki good.

Other questions are still valid for me.

> 4) There is a way to test translations?
> Since it's very important to see effects of translated message, it would be
> usefull to find where an entry is shown. I doubt i will ever see and check
> with accuracy 1164/2 = 582 translated messages while playing, specially if
> got doubt just for some (like word "briefing".. tbh translation may be
> different in context.. like italian word for Istructions, Objectives, or
> just Mission)
 [..]
> Tomorrow (or day after) i will check if
> there are only some lines missing or there are many break, causing a
> translation from scratch.
> I just started my *it* file from scratch

Just started the IT file from scratch from texts.list.txt, having opened tabs
with old italian translation and new english for reference.

> 6) When possible, consider a language translation "covered" when at least 2
> guys offers for it to check errors or find best translation. I doubt there
> are many with univeristy degree in languages that join translation work ;)

I just found a trick to mark doubted entries:
i'm working on a texts.it.txt.draft file. When one entry is not sure i add a
second line with comment "//check", like:
[briefing]
Missione
//check
When file will be done i will just type this into a unix shell
cat texts.it.txt.draft |grep -v "//check" > texts.it.txt
to get a proper translation file. This "source" lang file is what 2 translators
can share to get work done efficiently, keepin track of what to check later
with
screenshot tool (have still to check how does it work) or what to first
evaluate from mate's work.
Not pr0.. but simple ^_^

> FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on
> your desktop! Check it out at http://www.inbox.com/marineaquarium

i'm sorry for that spam, this is a free email account :p

Greetz