Re: [glob2-devel] google-analytics

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] google-analytics
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:16:59 +0100

Hi again

Google Analytics has been in place for the past 8 months. No one has complained before hand so I see no reason why someone should now!

I wanted to ask about it when I first blocked it.

And anyone one that has used Analytics knows it doesn't actually record who you are or where you've been all day! The most incriminating data would be where you came from (i.e. a referrer), you're os/browser, and location. But no emails, ips, or names are attached to that data.

Huh?? How do you know? You only assume this from what google lets you know so sorry but this does not convince me.

And as Kai pointed out, there are plugins out there that disable JS scripts of choice. If someone doesn't want to be recorded, then they just disable it.

And if people don't want to be tracked on every move they make they can simply keep up with the ways of tracking and use tor, NoScript, ... wear stupid masks against video surveillance in public, stop using mobile phones, stop using their registered cars, ... or move to a deserted island.

Sorry I have a problem with too much power in the hands of google alone.

Do we really need to support this? I mean I said I would try to keep my political believes apart but your "they don't store IPs" was too provoking.

So for now, it stays.

!!11!!