Re: [glob2-devel] Windows Installer - Your thoughts

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Windows Installer - Your thoughts
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:35:50 +0100

On Friday 08 February 2008 08:26:35 Kieran P wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm in the process of updating the NSIS script that makes the windows
> installer, and stumbled upon an idea....
>
> Should we have maps, campaigns, and scripts left out of the installer, and
> allow them as additional components which will be downloaded and installed
> at install time?
>
> From the current download size (11mb installer or so), you'd be looking at
> 1/2 the download size for the core (game and data), and the 1/2 would be
> another exe available on the wiki (or as above, downloading when
> installing).
>
> It might not help (which is why I'm asking here). Do you think many people
> install and just play YOG / make their own maps?
>
> OR do we keep all of it in the main package?

Personally I would you keep everything in the main package. I already now two
cases where someone download glob2 and gives it to someone with no internet
access, and this new distribution model would break this natural behavior.

Yet I would enjoy having mods that uses glob2 virtual filesystem to change
things such as graphics or add maps. All the structure is in place for this.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net