Re: [glob2-devel] Request from forum: backwards compatibility to the Mac

From: Ethan Tira-Thompson
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Request from forum: backwards compatibility to the Mac-native version
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:05:13 -0500

We've figured out what caused the error I posted, don't know if Bradley figured out why it happened yet but I did manage to make a working executable without Fink, just doing more testing on it and then I need to learn how to make the mac binaries.
Great! If you're interested in going "all the way", here's a helpful page from Apple about how to make universal binaries (which you'd have to do for the support libraries too, which is my hang up...)
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/buildingopensourceuniversal.html

Since you're building on Tiger, this should also work on Leopard (if building on Leopard, have to add some -sdkroot [...] flags or some such to restrict the compiler to Tiger libraries)

If you want, you can use the package I made earlier and just replace resources in the bundle to avoid starting from scratch on that:
http://ethan.tira-thompson.com/stuff/Globulation-0.9.1.dmg

Also might need to use otool -L so you can see the paths used to look up dynamic libraries (e.g. SDL stuff), and install_name_tool to change those paths (@executable_path prefix will be replaced by current location of executable to make relative paths)

Finally, when bundling, if you use a dmg, you can run this command:
hdiutil internet-enable glob.dmg
to "internet enable" it so that the dmg is automatically mounted/ copied to disk/unmounted/moved to trash:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/Containers/chapter_3_section_3.html

-ethan