Re: [glob2-devel] New AI System dependancies

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New AI System dependancies
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 14:38:03 -0700

On 7/2/06, Cyrille Dunant <address@hidden> wrote:
On Monday 03 July 2006 05:31, Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> On 7/1/06, Cyrille Dunant <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 July 2006 19:25, Ravi Desai wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > ~    Agreed.
> > > ~    I personally don't have any objections to dependencies, as long as
> > > they are easy to find and small in download sizes.
> > > ~    Any other player opinions out there?
> > > Ravi
> >
> > We should distinguish between convenience dependencies and functionality
> > dependencies.
> >
> > For example, we should not become dependant on glib on the argument that
> > they provide such and such mechanism.
> >
> > But we depend on speex for voice. Or SDL...
>
> Get one thing straight, speex and SDL are both conviences. If we
> really wanted to, we could write our own speex and our own SDL, they
> are just as much to save time as the boost libraries are. They save a
> larger portion of time, but time none the less.

No, sorry. Developping a codec is hard and _very_ time consuming. They simply
do not compare.

> > So, For function objects and ntuples and smart pointers, I'd say we can
> > do without.
> >
> > btw, what do you need smart pointers for?
>
> Smart pointers, like the function objects and tuples, make things
> quicker and easier. The tuples would be used for many small objects
> that are stored in a map,

how is that better than using, say, a valarray? Or better, a struct which
would make the code more legible?

> as tuples come with lexiogrphicall
> comparing, prebuilt constructors and everything else. The function
> objects is for making the interface to gradients and callbacks much
> more convienent.

Huh ? You need boost to implement a functor with a function pointer ?

> The smart pointers are to save time manually
> determining ownership, and manually adding deletes everywhere.

There is also a (small) performance cost...

In any case, I cannot prevent you from using boost. But I can't say you have
made a very good argument.

If you absolutely need somebody else's smart pointers, or tuple, or function
objects, would you please at least consider just adding the files to the
project ? Because here is the difference between convenience and
functionality dependencies : what you are asking for only represents a minute
proportion of glob's size, whereas re-coding SDL...

CU

 -- CFD

Think of it logically, I'm not saying I *need* anything from boost.
But at the same time, we don't *need* anything from SDL either, as we
could recode it ourselves. And It wouldn't be as time consuming as you
might think, as we could and would cut out large portions of the
feature set that we just don't need.

And don't say its not time consuming to constantly be remaking the
same tuple code or making thousands of structs in just the same way.
Its very tedious. something that takes me a 10 minutes to do manually
I can do in two seconds with boost. Thats about a 99.67% time saving,
and that comes up more than once.

Using boost on the wide scale can save allot of time.