Re: [glob2-devel] New AI System dependancies

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New AI System dependancies
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 20:31:10 -0700

On 7/1/06, Cyrille Dunant <address@hidden> wrote:
On Saturday 01 July 2006 19:25, Ravi Desai wrote:
> Hi,
> ~    Agreed.
> ~    I personally don't have any objections to dependencies, as long as
> they are easy to find and small in download sizes.
> ~    Any other player opinions out there?
> Ravi

We should distinguish between convenience dependencies and functionality
dependencies.

For example, we should not become dependant on glib on the argument that they
provide such and such mechanism.

But we depend on speex for voice. Or SDL...
Get one thing straight, speex and SDL are both conviences. If we
really wanted to, we could write our own speex and our own SDL, they
are just as much to save time as the boost libraries are. They save a
larger portion of time, but time none the less.

So, For function objects and ntuples and smart pointers, I'd say we can do
without.

btw, what do you need smart pointers for?

Smart pointers, like the function objects and tuples, make things
quicker and easier. The tuples would be used for many small objects
that are stored in a map, as tuples come with lexiogrphicall
comparing, prebuilt constructors and everything else. The function
objects is for making the interface to gradients and callbacks much
more convienent. The smart pointers are to save time manually
determining ownership, and manually adding deletes everywhere.

CU

 -- CFD