Re: [glob2-devel] Some general problems and ideas

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Some general problems and ideas
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:53:51 +0100

Hello,

Welcome to the glob2 mailing list :-)

> - when a worker is getting food or wood, and you have the lines showing,
> the don't always go to that spot

The line targets the position the unit is aiming at; but if the unit finds
food or wood sooner or is diverted from the "ideal" path because of an
obstacle, it can finish at another place.

> - the middle click thing on buildings should be once on once off, not
> once on 6 times off

I do not understand exactly your question, could you give some more details?

> - ustep errors need to be corrected, or at least take those errors out
> of the console logging

I agree, at least for 1.0 release. Nuage,do you think it is too soon now?

> - if there is something in another task on the screen (behind the game)
> and the game is in opengl mode, that item will flash in front. To repeat
> just open up top in a console, then run glob2 on the same screen

It is possible. I'm rewriting the SDL and GL backends when I have time, so
I'll have a look at all graphics related issues later.

> When you do ./glob2 --version on a build from cvs, it should show the
> cvs revision number

Could you copy/paste the line there because it works here?

> - if you put the blue stuff down over your entire base, the warriors
> won't really guard it

That's correct. The guard area is just a place where idle warriors go. If you
want to guard a specific area you have to use a war flag. If someone has time
to add this to the FAQ, it would be cool.

> There are some error and screenshot items at
> Randomvoids.com/error(1-4) and randomvoids.com/shot(1-6).jpg
> One or two of the shots are of errors, the others are just gameplay
> images.

Timeout on server

> Ideas:
> - possibly different types of warriors?

That's an old idea :-) We'll have a look at those possibilites after the 1.0
release.

> - the ability to select a different metaserver for lans.

Why ? No metaserver is required for LAN because game connection is broadcast
based.

> - make the metaserver code actually compile

It is fixed in latest CVS.

> - there are some patch files on bugs.gentoo.org, just search for glob2,
> and use those

I've had a look at them but as far as I've looked they are gentoo specific

> - have a system for the game to either update automatically when you
> connect to the metaserver and it see's you aren't running the same
> version, or pop up a notice saying you're not running the latest version
> and need to update before you can go online

This is planned based to an IRC bot, we just need some volunteer to do the
job ;-)
But it should be added as a junior job

> - when a building is being upgraded that expands, put the outer area as
> a red spot so workers won't go there.

Good idea, that should be done.

Thanks, have fun playing glob2,

Steph