Re: [glob2-devel] new gradient system

From: Nuage
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] new gradient system
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:23:49 +0200

Thx for this work!

| and the seccond one that takes about 30% of CPU:
|
|                // here we do the real work
|                if (networkReadyToExecute && !gui.gamePaused &&
| !gui.hardPause)
|                    gui.game.syncStep(gui.localTeamNo);

This is the "real" work and engine. So 30% is quite low.

| Al the other parts take les than 10% most o the time on this type of
| map, on the begining of the game
|

| On a normal map with AI (128*128)
|                // we draw
|                gui.drawAll(gui.localTeamNo);
| this i s taking more than 80%, even more than 95% of the time if i let
| the game some minutes...
| But here is no problem of speed, because the cpu is alaways 50% load....

It's still surprisingly high.
How big did you set the screen resolution ?
Is it glSDL based ?

| I dont know if all the cpu time neaded to draw on the screen is mesured,
| or only what the program does; i eman i dont think that the time
| occupied by openGL is counted here....
|

| this is not a final rapport, only a simple test. I'll do a final rapport
| when i will be able to load the huge map
|
| i have the folowing error:
[...]
| glob2: Map.cpp:2026: void Map::updateGlobalGradient(Uint8*): Assertion
| `size <= 65536' failed.
| Aborted

Right, there was an optimisation in the new gradient system, which would
prevent the surface of the map to be bigger than 65536. I defined a new
computation system, but 32 bit based, so we can compute any size of map.

| AINumbi is working
| with AICastor i get the folowing erorr:
[...]
| glob2: Map.cpp:3948: bool Map::pathfindForbidden(Uint8*, int, bool, int,
| int, int*, int*, bool): Assertion `gradient' failed.
| Aborted
| bash-2.05b$

I didn't found the bug now. This sounds more like meory corruption.
I fixed others forbidden-areas bugs like:
+ the forbidden area where not really computed when you add a building on units.
(this was the bad bug)
+ the forbidden area where not recomputed when a building was removed or
destroyed.
(would make some weired bugs)
+ the forbidden area is cleared when the project of building over units did not
succeded.

Tell me if you find a new bug with the forbidden areas, thx!

Luc-Olivier