Re: [glob2-devel] new gradient system

From: MOA333
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] new gradient system
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:54:44 +0000

Nuage wrote:

great job!

it only uses about 20 or 30% of the cpu on a 256*256 map with the cpu load betwen 80% and 130%
without any other AI player

before it wa susing up to 95% of the cpu or more and that with a cpu load of 600% at least on a 512*512 map

I would like to make the test on the huge map i made, the migration one, why are huge maps not working any more?
I cant play any huge map 512*512...

i'm doing other tests and i will tell the resutls on the forum.

for now at first view, it seems that the funtion that takes a lot is:

this part in engine::run:

           if (!globalContainer->runNoX)
           {
               // we draw
               gui.drawAll(gui.localTeamNo);

//globalContainer->gfx->drawLine(ticknb, 0, ticknb, 480, 255, 0 ,0);
               //ticknb=(ticknb+1)%(640-128);
globalContainer->gfx->nextFrame(); endTick=SDL_GetTicks();
               Sint32 spentTicks=endTick-startTick;
               ticksSpentInComputation=spentTicks-ticksDelayedInside;
               computationAvailableTicks=40-ticksSpentInComputation;
Sint32 ticksToWait=computationAvailableTicks+ticksToDelayInside;
               if (ticksToWait>0)
                   SDL_Delay(ticksToWait);
               startTick=SDL_GetTicks();
net->setLeftTicks(computationAvailableTicks);//We may have to tell others IP players to wait for our slow computer.

 i try to see witch one inside this part is taking so much cpu time....

and also this function that takes 32% of the cpu!! almost:

               // here we do the real work
if (networkReadyToExecute && !gui.gamePaused && !gui.hardPause)
                   gui.game.syncStep(gui.localTeamNo);

The slowest one in a game without any cmputer is this one:

                   // We store full recursive checkSums data:
gui.game.checkSum(net->getCheckSumsListsStorage(), net->getCheckSumsListsStorageForBuildings(), net->getCheckSumsListsStorageForUnits());

WOW, this one is taking betwen 40 and 50% of the CPU now!!!!!! what is that??

the oter functions are taking less than 4% of cpu, but reember it is only a game with no AI or network players... I hope i will be able to load the RMHM_no_Rush_Migration_Huge_Map and to test everythink more precise.