ghm-discuss

Re: GHM Swiss Edition: Finances

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: GHM Swiss Edition: Finances
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 18:51:07 +0100

On 1/22/20 6:34 PM, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

>          Thanks for offer helping out GHM budget.
>
>          Hopefully, we won't have any expenses (room + projector are a free
> offer
>          by CCC Hamburg). Maybe if something gets broken.
>
>          Anyways, thank you for organizing GHM Swiss. I really hope to come
> next
>          year - an early announcement or a week later would improve my
> chances.
>
>          CU at GHM Hamburg !?
>
>          Regards, Tim
>
>     There was also a significant surplus from the 2017 GHM, which was
>     deposited with the FSF.
>
>     I suggest that GHM surpluses in future be held in one place, and used
>     to subsidise future ones.
>
> +1
> If GNUnet e.V would like to do that, it would be awesome.

Well, without asking I can't speak for everyone at GNUnet e.V., but
given the general surplus-tendency (which is certainly better than the
alternative), I think this should come with a caveat that we are allowed
to spend the money to support other GNU-related events (like the food
purchase for the GNUnet hacker meeting in January).  Otherwise it is too
likely that the money will just grow and eventually some fiscal
authority gives us trouble.  So if the proposal is that GNUnet e.V.
should literally _manage_ the funds and is allowed to disburse them in
support of GNU/Free Software events in Europe, great. If the only ever
possible use is GHMs, we really should create a separate fund and
management entity.