Re: [Fsfe-uk] ZDNet Carbon-neutral PC runs Vista (not Free software)

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] ZDNet Carbon-neutral PC runs Vista (not Free software)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:29:36 +0100

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 20:35 +0100, Matthew Blissett wrote:

> It's not that great, but a comparison could be made based on the maximum
> power
> use of the PC as it is sold, and the EU energy use diagram used (the one with
> A-G in power consumption and the coloured bars). That makes people aware, and
> there's already tax on electricity
>
> > (almost all Windows non-business users I know only run their machines
> > from when they get home untli when they go to bed, most *ix geeks are
> > proud of their year-plus uptimes).
>
> I think that's a geek/non-geek trait, rather than *ix/non-*ix.

Didn't I read somewhere that power management on Windows laptops means
batteries last longer than running with Linux? So they could use that as
a reason to tax GNU/Linux more than Windows. You would certainly have to
prove any points with hard evidence because the likes of MS will chuck
massive resources in to prove they are the more environmentally
friendly. They'll

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications