Re: [Fsfe-uk] ZDNet Carbon-neutral PC runs Vista (not Free software)

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] ZDNet Carbon-neutral PC runs Vista (not Free software)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:30:13 +0100

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 14:24 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Jon Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I think GNU/Linux distros should really get ontop of the environmental
> > "bandwagon", much free publicity to be had and market-share to be
> > gained.  (just like OLPC)

``... and the company is purchasing carbon offsets to match the
consequences of its manufacturing process.''
cf:
http://www.cheatneutral.com/

Does it really need re-stating that real environmental benefits
come much more readily from _not_ throwing things away? E.g.
taking the 3 million PCs chucked in UK landfill last year
and using for LTSP (or as GNU desktops). :-/

> Please promote:
> http://badvista.fsf.org/freesoftwarefreesociety/free-software-free-society/
> http://www.linux.com/feature/118803
> http://www.newstatesman.com/200708280002
> - links shamelessly taken from http://tom.acrewoods.net/

and (also to do with Tom, I believe) -
http://peopleandplanet.org/floss

As the University year starts, Birmingham Uni's PeopleandPlanet
will be doing Ubuntu installs for their fellow students. Other
cities may have the same.

> If anyone can think what distributions can do, tell me what to ask of
> debian and gobo, please.

I think publicity for the sustainable benefits of Free
Software computing is good whoever does it. What's
needed is a list of sympathetic journalists. Are there
any?

 - Richard