Re: [Fsfe-uk] ZDNet Carbon-neutral PC runs Vista (not Free software)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] ZDNet Carbon-neutral PC runs Vista (not Free software)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 01:36:59 +0100

"Philip Hunt" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9/11/07, Dave Page <address@hidden> wrote:
> > [...] Is it better for me to use an old
> > Pentium as a firewall, or "sponsor" the manufacture of a lower-powered
> > embedded device?
>
> It's when people ask questions like this that make me realise that the
> way to reduce CO2 emissions is for the government to tax them [...]

Which won't work because people can't distinguish the effect of
running a computer from all the other things which affect their energy
consumption!

Also, stated energy consumptions of machines you don't own yet rarely
reflect reality, which makes the comparison doubly-hard.

The government should subsidise those new single-device energy meters,
so people who care could compare and choose wisely.  That would be a
good step towards helping answer questions like Dave Page's one above.

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.