Re: [Fsfe-uk] Public money and freedom

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Public money and freedom
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:27:30 +0000

Space Bunny,

With all respect please do not arrive at hurried judgements and post to
lists as this risks another person (possibly me) in a hurry do magnify
the mistakes.

Dasher has  an excellent support base (a Yahoo group and and IRC channel
on freenode) and the website has nothing bad to complain about.

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 20:29, Chris Ball wrote:
> >> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:25:51, Space Bunny <address@hidden> said:
>
>    > Dasher software is free software under gpl but I seem to remember
>    > that it is covered by patent, I am not sure if patent is own by
>    > uni or researcher himself or some other body. I tried to quickly
>    > find some info on website and could not.
>
> Hi, I'm one of the Dasher developers.  Dasher is certainly not covered
> by any patents; the inventor (the head of the research group I work in)
> has strong beliefs both towards Free Software and against patents.

Also I would encourage anyone interested to look up and  read up the
head of the research group's beliefs. (the main reason I CC to the list)

The whole efforts gives UK free software community a lot to be proud
about and we (AFFS ?) should invite them to help us, IMHO.

Sincerely,

Ramanan