Re: [Fsfe-uk] Public money and freedom

From: Space Bunny
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Public money and freedom
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:25:51 +0000

Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

Labour MP Ian Gibson, who chairs the committee (House of Commons Science
and Technology Committee) says

“If research is funded by public money, then it should be available to
the public for free,”

This prompts me to let you know it is hoped to have Richard Stallman in Edinburgh as a guest of Edinburgh University soemtime in 2004.

http://www.movingpages.org/MoinWiki/RichardStallman

It is interesting with universities told to be creative with there funding. One way is to try and lever proprietary advantage of owning their research. It creates this odd form of public ownership that overall works against the public interest. Also levering proprietary advantage is not guaranteed winner for pulling in money as you know from the case made to biz for free software. Where it has worked to pull in money the company is usually spun off and uni loses control and maybe gets a fixed one off pay back.

All code that is used externally that uni claim copyright over should be copylefted. And uni should encourage copyleft of code, and enable students and researchers to copyleft code. ie help keep source readily available etc.

All published documents funded by public money should be copylefted in my view, if not public domain.
eg hansard, reports such as social trends, council newsletters etc.

Should Unis publish research in open to stop it been patented, or try to build a patent portfolio promising to use it like redhat says it will only as leverage for cross licensing. The free software movement has not come up with a equivalent for patents as copyleft for copyrights. I don't think there is one that would work well. We have to defeat patents politically. But in meantime what should Unis do. We should keep pressure on them to promise to give free licenses forever on ones they do own.

Dasher software is free software under gpl but I seem to remember that it is covered by patent, I am not sure if patent is own by uni or researcher himself or some other body. I tried to quickly find some info on website and could not.

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

I may just email them and ask, and ask how they hope to use patent just for leverage against those who try to use patents against it and it allies, or for general gain for owner.

I could be wrong and it might not be patented.

Also someone from W3C is involved with hosts Edinburgh Uni and there outlook on things such as patents is not quite same as Stallmans. So it should be interesting.

cheers

Micah
http://j12.org/sb/