[Fsfe-uk] Re: Patented videoshop opens in Wales

From: Marco Schulze
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Patented videoshop opens in Wales
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:14:57 +0100

Kevin Donnely (kevin at dotmon.com) writes:

I do have to say that I see some difficulty with 3 of the items mentioned: I think the response of most people to patents on gifs, mp3s and mpeg4s will be "somebody did some work to create these, and you're using them, so it's reasonable to pay".

Fileformats are like the alphabet: It's necessary to have open standards that everyone can use. Otherwise, we end up in the Celtic age > 2000 years ago, when reading and writing were privileges of the priests!

In my view, these are of a different character to things like tabbed browsing, or paying by credit card over the internet, or a shopping trolley, all of which are analogues of real-world things. I recognise the issues with the compression technology (significantly, in at least two cases (png and ogg) there are free alternatives) - it's just that I think there would be a better response if we focus on the really loony ones.

The propriatery formats are pushed into the market by powerful monopolists. They establish a "secret language" and exclude everyone they want. That's creating a monopoly on information itself as they can decide who is allowed to read/write!

Markus Gerwinski has written a very good text about it. Unfortunately, it's in German, but maybe Babelfish can help you to at least understand a bit:

http://www.pl-berichte.de/edit/nov2002a.html

Best regards, Marco.