Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bruce Prerens' ideas for a 'UserLinux' non-corporate distr

From: Tom Coady
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bruce Prerens' ideas for a 'UserLinux' non-corporate distro
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 12:26:55 +0000

Paul Mobbs said the following on 07/12/2003 10:46:

**The Problem**

This has hampered the adoption of Linux. For example, a very large multinational bank recently informed me that they had called off a 10,000-system Linux deployment becuase "Linux is now more expensive than Windows".
More details please. Was cost the only criteria? I imagine a bank would value other qualities.

An ISP complained that the cost of Enterprise Linux is greater than the annual profit of one of his servers.
RHEL Cost=$349. What type of business makes <$1 profit/day?

But the $1000 per year or greater that many customers now pay for their Linux systems goes not for service, but for a brand and the endorsement of a few application providers like Oracle.
$799 actually. And it gives plenty of support:
http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/rhel/es/

The economics of Open Source work worst for commercial Linux distributions. They are attempting to generate profit from a product that they don't own, and to which they can't add much value without departing from the factors that make Linux desirable.

I think the support element is quite good value actually.