Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft, Sun & NHS

From: Tom Coady
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft, Sun & NHS
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 12:15:04 +0000

ian said the following on 07/12/2003 11:39:

Sun are quoting $50
per desktop - around £30. Microsoft Schools Agreement is not much more
but that doesn't take into account the cost of OEM windows on new
machines. So the worst case scenario is NHS sticking with MS but MS
making a lot less money from us, the best is to ditch Windows and MS
Office for Linux and Star Office. To me either is progress so this is
good news.

According to this http://www.business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1341432003
Sun have already got the deal. I can't find any reference to the multi billion program to develop some sort of integrated system, but I assume it was based on windows architectures unless they had the foresight to make it platform independent in the procurement spec. A bit of background here: